Last week we received a bunch of cauliflower in our CSA box. I really wanted to try something new and have read quite a bit about cauliflower crust pizza and how delicious it was. So, I decided to try it out. It was soooo good and super easy! This is a great recipe to try if you are cutting down on all that carb dense bread or are gluten free. It's also really fun to make and is a perfect alternative to ordering out for pizza which should only be an occasional treat… if at all… sorry. 😉
Here is the recipe which you can also find in detail at Detoxinista.com
- 4 cups raw cauliflower rice (about one medium head)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup soft goat cheese (chevre)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- To make the cauliflower rice, pulse batches of raw cauliflower florets in a food processor, until a rice-like texture is achieved.
- Fill a large pot with about an inch of water, and bring it to a boil. Add the “rice” and cover; let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. Drain into a fine-mesh strainer.
- THIS IS THE SECRET: Once you’ve strained the rice, transfer it to a clean, thin dishtowel. Wrap up the steamed rice in the dishtowel, twist it up, then SQUEEZE all the excess moisture out! It’s amazing how much extra liquid will be released, which will leave you with a nice and dry pizza crust.
- In a large bowl, mix up your strained rice, beaten egg, goat cheese, and spices. (Don’t be afraid to use your hands! You want it very well mixed.) It won’t be like any pizza dough you’ve ever worked with, but don’t worry– it’ll hold together!
- Press the dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (It’s important that it’s lined with parchment paper, or it will stick.) Keep the dough about ⅓” thick, and make the edges a little higher for a “crust” effect, if you like.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400F. The crust should be firm, and golden brown when finished.
- Now’s the time to add all your favorites– sauce, cheese, and any other toppings you like. Return the pizza to the 400F oven, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, just until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Slice and serve immediately!